The U.S. Department of Energy awarded the District of Columbia's Department of Environment $568,000 to launch an ENERGY STARŪ Appliance Rebate Program. The program is intended to stimulate the economy by encouraging consumers to replace older, less-efficient appliances with new, more energy-efficient ENERGY STARŪ-qualified models. The replacement of older appliances saves families money, helps protect the environment, stimulates the economy and creates jobs.
The DC Energy Efficiency Appliance Rebate Program (DCEEARP) will compliment the Residential Weatherization and Efficiency Rebate Program (RWERP). The RWERP will provide rebates for the replacement of standard efficiency equipment with ENERGY STARŪ gas furnaces, gas boilers and high efficiency storage water heaters. RWERP will also subsidize 50 percent of the cost of qualifying weatherization measures (including door replacement, window replacement, insulation, weatherstripping and installing a programmable thermostat) up to $1,000. The rebate is for measures installed, not just purchased.
Program Details and Objectives
- Program Launch Date: October 25, 2010
- Program End Date: When funds are depleted
- Total Funding: $650,618
The District Department of Environment has approved the following appliance types and rebate levels for ENERGY STAR® units. Rebates will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis until program funds are expended.
|Appliance Type||Criteria||Rebate Amount|
|Clothes Washers||January 1, 2011, ENERGY STAR qualifications: Modified Energy Factor (MEF) 2.0 or greater; Water Factor (WF) 6.0 or less||$250|
|Dishwashers Tier 1||> or = 324 kWh/year and < or = 5.8 gallons per cycle||$100|
|Dishwashers Tier 2||> or = 307 kWh/year and < or = 5.0 gallons per cycle||$150|
|Refrigerators||20% better than federal standard||$200|
|Residential Gas Boilers|| ||$600|
|Residential Gas Furnaces|| ||$400|
|Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters||Energy Factor > or = 2.0||$600|
|High-Efficiency Gas Storage Water Heaters||Energy Factor > or = 0.67||$400|
|Weatherization*||Door/window replacement, insulation, weatherstripping, programmable thermostat||50% of cost up to $1,000|
*Rebates for weatherization will be based only on the cost of the weatherization item itself (i.e., the cost of the door, the window, insulation, weather stripping, the thermostat). The program will not provide a rebate for the cost of accessory items (such as door knobs, hinges, locks, etc.) or for tools the consumer purchases to install the weatherization item(s). In addition, the program will not provide a rebate for labor if a consumer decides to pay to have the weatherization item professionally installed.
Rebate Eligibility Program Rules:
- Rebates will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until the allocated program funds are depleted. First-come, first-served status will be determined by the date the application arrives at the rebate fulfillment center.
- Rebates must be postmarked within 60 days of purchase.
- Purchaser MUST be a District of Columbia residential consumer, supplying a home address for installation. Neither business customers nor business installations are eligible for rebate(s).
- Households (single addresses) are limited to one rebate per category (different energy levels of clothes washers or dishwashers count as one category).
- Purchase must be made during the rebate offer period on or after October 25, 2010.
- Only ENERGY STAR®-rated clothes washers, dishwashers, refrigerators, residential gas boilers and gas furnaces, electric heat pump water heaters, high-efficiency gas storage water heaters and weatherization products are eligible. Qualifying units must be listed on the ENERGY STAR® website: www.ENERGYSTAR.gov.
- Rebates are only available for the replacement of existing units with new qualifying appliances.
- Sales receipts need to indicate the retailer name, retailer address, purchase price, date of purchase, and product make and model.
- Consumers are required to dispose of the old appliance by allowing the retailer to haul it away, taking the old appliance to a recycling center themselves or having bulk trash pick it up (a confirmation number is required for bulk trash pickup).
- Rebate forms must be completely and accurately filled out to be processed.
- Rebate checks are only valid for 180 days from issue date.
- In order to assess the success of the program, the District of Columbia requests that consumers participate in an online survey for each rebate upon receipt of their check.